Article marketing is an incredibly effective tool for growing your business, especially when compared to other forms of promotion. People are online every day looking for information to help solve their problems.
Just make sure you’re not making one of these detrimental article writing mistakes:
5. Hiding your articles. If you write an amazing article, send it out to your list once a month and then head back into the woodwork, you’re denying the world of your talents and denying your business the growth it deserves. For starters, submit that article to an article directory (general or targeted). Next, post a link to your new article to your social networks so it’s easy for your contacts to read and share your work (hint: if you publish a blog, you can set this up to happen automatically).
4. Writing from the rooftop. If you’re writing in a stuffy or academic style, throwing in lots of theories , jargon or technical terms (without explaining them), it can distance you from your readers and you’ll have to work harder and longer to make a meaningful, trusting connection.
Read more about Mistake #4: Want your readers to keep reading? Plain language is the key and Be a fly on the wall.
3. Leaping too many tall buildings in a single article. If you’re jamming too much information into an article, you’re liable to leave your reader’s head spinning. Is that the effect you want them to associate with you? If you’ve got a lot to say, try introducing the material briefly in a list, and then expanding on each item in a separate article. That’s what I did in this post about article marketing skills. In a blog post, you can provide links to related reading, as I have here.
2. Trying to please everyone (and standing out to no one). If you’re writing generic articles that could have been written by any coach around the globe, you’re doing a disservice to the ideal client who is your perfect match. Instead, address the specific problems that your ideal client is dealing with, and use the same language they use. This will also make it easier for people to refer others to you, because you will be the first person they think of when someone mentions the problem that you solve.
Even if your niche or problem area are general, be willing to inject your own unique personality into your writing and be strong with your opinions. That saves the wrong people from wasting their time (and yours), and allows the right people to find you more quickly.
And now here is the worst article writing mistake you can make:
1. Not writing articles because you’re worried they won’t be good enough! Do you notice that this list doesn’t say anything about typos, grammar errors or commonly misused words? That’s because perfection is not a requirement for article marketing. Yes, I want you to proofread and deal with common writing issues, but I want you to do that WHILE you’re plugging away and honing your skills. So find the time and get going!
If you’re worried about that stuff, make sure you know where to look for the answers or hire someone to help you.
Are you making some of these article writing mistakes? Yes? You mean your writing isn’t perfect yet?? Welcome to the club! Mine isn’t either.