Several years ago, I was lamenting my single status when a wise friend asked me a pointed question: Well, would you date you? Ouch. Since then, if I start thinking those thoughts, I turn my attention back to becoming the person who I want to be – so that I can attract the person I want to be with.
Why am I telling you this? Partly because I was inspired by a very poignant and very personal blog post by Leesa Barnes about what dating and being vulnerable has taught her about social media, and partly because it was a new way to write about article marketing strategies.
Here are five ways that you can be attractive in your articles (and they might even work for dating as well, though you should probably consult a dating expert about that):
1. Be confident but not cocky. Whether you’re sharing experience or expertise in your articles, present your ideas with certainty using strong, active language.
2. Listen at least as much as you talk. Ask for comments and respond to them. Ask your readers for article ideas and write about those. Tune in to what your target market cares about and try to help them.
3. Be yourself. There’s no point in trying to be someone you’re not at the beginning of a relationship with your reader – your true colours will come out eventually. It’s better to turn the wrong clients off right away than to waste their time and get your own hopes up about them.
4. Look your best. Staying true to yourself, you can still dress up what you have in a way that feels good to you. And then step back with an objective eye (or ask for help) to see the impression you might be making on others. (Hint: I’m talking about proofreading here!)
5. Be selective. Stop trying to date everybody – it makes you look desperate. Instead, be very clear about the audience you are looking for. Include lots of links to your colleagues with other specialties, so you can play matchmaker for those who are not a good fit for you.
Just like my friend reminded me so many years ago, the most important step in writing attractive articles is to write articles that YOU like and that make YOU happy. That is what will attract your ideal client.