Business blogging is a great way to keep your website fresh and attract new customers, but some people find it hard to see how blogging could work for their particular business. This list of eight types of blog posts has something for everyone.
1. Advice, “how to’s” or instructions – People are online everyday looking for help and ideas they can trust.
Success tips: Answer the questions you’re asked the most by clients, prospective clients, colleagues, friends and family members. Imagine you’re writing to an absolute beginner who knows nothing about the topic. (Hint: Recipes are a great option, and with a little creativity most businesses can find a way to relate to food!)
Perfect for: Automotive, business and professional services, clothing, computers and electronics, contractors, health and wellness, home and garden, legal and financial, personal care and services, pet services, real estate, retail, sports and recreation, technology, travel.
Blog post example: Four Ways to Add Curb Appeal (Blinds.com)
2. News – When you deliver the most important and relevant news to your audience, it increases their trust and encourages them to seek out your expertise.
Success tips: Depending on your business, this might be industry news, breaking news, or finding a connection between your product/service and a current news story. Consider interviewing an industry expert using video or audio, and post along with a written transcription or summary.
Perfect for: Agriculture, arts, business and professional services, computers and electronics, health and wellness, industrial, legal and financial, real estate, technology.
Blog post example: 2013 Small Business Survey Results part 5: Anticipating the economy’s direction (US Bank)
3. Innovation, opinions and commentary – Take your business’s credibility to the next level and become the news that others report.
Perfect for: Arts, business and professional services, computers and electronics, health and wellness, industrial, technology.
Blog post example: The Pope is Right on Food Waste (Virgin)
4. Client/customer showcase – Go deeper with stories that demonstrate how real people are using your products and services. More importantly, this shows your appreciation for these relationships.
Success tips: Incorporate photos and videos to increase the personal connection and bring more visual interest to your blog.
Perfect for: Every business!
Blog post example: Jenny & Chris – Wedding Highlight Film & Love Story Engagement Film (Honey & Dear Wedding Cinema)
5. Staff/vendor showcase – Spotlighting your talented team nurtures good relationships, and makes your business more transparent to your customers.
Success tips: Give staff and vendors the opportunity to write guest posts or regular features, or interview them and/or their co-workers or customers.
Perfect for: Automotive, business and professional services, clothing, food, home and garden, pet services, restaurants and quick-service restaurants, retail, travel.
Blog post example: It’s Joe’s Abilities That Count (Marriott)
6. Behind the curtain – People love to see how the magic happens behind the scenes of a business. The larger your company, the more people will be craving a way to know and connect with its leaders.
Success tips: Just like in blog post type #1, you want to step into your readers’ shoes and imagine what would be most fascinating to someone who isn’t as familiar with your business. Tap into the variety of subject matter experts within your company.
Perfect for: Agriculture, business and professional services, food and dining, home and garden, industrial, legal and financial, retail, travel.
Blog post example: Managing a Floating Garden on the World’s Largest Cruise Ships (Royal Caribbean)
7. Product/service tours – Help your customers understand and use your products and services.
Success tips: Video demonstrations can be very effective, but include text for those who prefer to read and/or print the directions.
Perfect for: Automotive, business and professional services, computers and electronics, food, health and wellness, home and garden, retail, sports and recreation, technology.
Blog post example: Advantageous Avocados (Wegman’s)
8. Resources and reviews – Showcase other experts and companies that provide complementary products and services, and guide your readers to the best ones.
Success tips: Explain to your readers why you’re recommending this other product or service. You can demonstrate your own industry knowledge even while you’re introducing another business.
Perfect for: Automotive, business and professional services, clothing, computers and electronics, construction and contractors, food and dining, health and wellness, home and garden, personal care and services, pet services, technology.
Blog post example: Best Smartphone Apps to Accelerate Your Next Road Trip (GM)
I hope these ideas, tips and examples have opened your mind to some new blogging possibilities for your business!
Would you like a customized blogging plan for your business? Apply for a one-on-one blogging consultation and get blogging today!